In order to promote sustainable drinking water supplies, a long-term comprehensive strategy is needed that includes:
• preparing an inspection plan
• preparing a communications plan
• clarifying issues relating to compensation
• revising existing water protection plans
• preparing new water protection plans for those drinking water abstraction sites for which such plans have not yet been prepared
• preparing water protection plans for reserve water sources
• clarifying the regulatory framework for activities carried out near water sources (agriculture, forestry, settlements), such as prohibiting grazing on the shores of water protection zones.